Action Items this Week
- Visit the forum and respond to the question for week 11;
- Comment on your colleagues’ presentation in the forums or on social media;
- Start Thinking about the Final reflective Assignment (10%) of your grade.
- Take a Look at Business Insider on the Gartner Hype Cycle (http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-2015-gartner-hype-cycle-chart-2015-8) How accurate is it over time?
Here is a copy of the lecture slide deck for 10 Dec – Social Media Community/Management.
The Social Importance of Groups, Engagement and Management
This week we will explore the nature of corporate social engagement and how information systems have led to revolution in the nature of B2C and B2B communities.
Please feel free to take a look at the following video presentations which may be referenced in the lecture:
XtraNormal – What is Social Media Manager?
XtraNormal – Social PR – Bob gets it
Seth Godin – The Tribes We Lead (2009)
After working as a software brand manager in the mid-1980s, Godin started Yoyodyne, one of the first Internet-based direct-marketing firms, with the notion that companies needed to rethink how they reached customers. His efforts caught the attention of Yahoo!, which bought the company in 1998 and kept Godin on as a vice president of permission marketing. Godin has produced several critically acclaimed and attention-grabbing books, including Permission Marketing, All Marketers Are Liars, and Purple Cow (which was distributed in a milk carton). In 2005, Godin founded Squidoo.com, a Web site where users can share links and information about an idea or topic important to them.
Question for Forum Discussion
- Concerning proactivity and reactivity – can a disembodied corporate entity adopt and manufacture a cohesive online persona?