Week 2 – Ireland Social Computing and Collaboration

Home Forums Weekly Discussions Week 2 – Ireland Social Computing and Collaboration

This topic contains 22 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Diarmuid Kiernan 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

MartinStaunton
    Participant

Ireland has benefited from the use of social media from the view that it has played a major part in educating and raising awareness about current social issues. It is now an important player in an informed Irish society.

This, I feel was particularly apparent in the success of the recent gay rights campaign. There was was certainly a positive and active “collaborative national community” at work during this campaign. This to me is an example of how useful social media has been in recent years.

Kevin Mc
    Participant

I manage the twitter account for a League of Ireland football club and social media is a massive tool for clubs when looking for advertising.

Our own marketing team use the fact that we have over 10,000 followers on our verified twitter account, 9,000 likes on the Facebook account and the amount of hits on our Youtube channel to help attract sponsors.

Offering companies this exposure on top of the usual benefits is a big incentive and quite often one of the first things they ask about now.

byrnep16
    Participant

I believe that Ireland is one of the more active countries when it comes to social media. This even goes back to the early days of texting.
    “Fact #18: Ireland is among the highest-ranking countries when it comes to texting, sending 2,700 messages per inhabitant in 2009.” – http://blog.textrepublic.com/32-sms-statistics-you-need-to-know/#sthash.isrIIZZE.dpuf and its doesn’t stop there.

“Irish mobile phone usage highest in the western world, global stats reveal”- http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/irish-mobile-phone-usage-highest-in-the-western-world-global-stats-reveal-31480385.html and within the article it states that “That seems to have migrated to social media, in particular. Look around any Irish bus, café, airport or public street: there are thousands of people staring down at rectangular screens.”

forde1208
    Participant

If you look at the image that personal computing, i.e owning a computer, had over the last decade or more ago, most people considered themselves to be too outgoing to participate/own a computer within Ireland. There was a lot of negativity socially but now, with the aid of social media, social computing has become so mainstream over the last 5-7 years, underpinned by the dramatic improvement in the development of hardware mobility and costs. It has encouraged people who had that negative opinion of computing to dramatically change their perception of it. This in turn encourages collaboration. Just like people back in the day made mixed tapes for their friends, with the use of sites like YouTube, Vevo, Dailymotion etc., social computing has evolved the modern day mixed tape. With these developments in hand, the use of tools like Twitter and Facebook etc., people have “an open 24 hours” environment for finding out information and passing it on just as they would have done verbally. I refer to a Facebook page called “Crumlins next top coddle”. This evolved from an idea in jest to a well-supported GAA club fundraiser that received air time on Ireland’s TV3 and 2FM. The fundraiser undoubtedly wouldn’t have been achieved without the use of social media to highlight the funny nature of the fundraiser. The success of the fundraiser undoubtedly wouldn’t have been achieved without the use of social media to highlight the funny nature of it. The organisers collaborated with a local musician to create a theme tune for the day, once it was complete the song was promoted using Soundcloud via Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/CrumlinsNextTopCoddle

damienslevin
    Participant

Irish people are generally a very social group so this definitely translates well over to social media. Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are very well known here and widely used here as is Irish home grown ones like Boards.ie.

Added to this, the fact that so many large IT companies that are either social media based companies or have a large social media presence means that this method communication has been adopted by their employees and introduced into their families and social circles, thus growing the number of users further.

With the recession hitting Ireland particularly heard since 2008 and the large number of Irish who have been forced to emigrate, social media has made its way into almost ever family house hold as a means of keeping in touch with loved ones who have left the country. Families have adopted the likes of facebook, youtube, communication tools like whatsapp, viber and facetime as a means to follow their families in their new adventures and new lives in the countries they now call home.

So I would Ireland as a whole has truly taken to social media and welcomed it into their every day lives

kennynir
    Participant

I feel it would be safe to say that Ireland has embraced social media. It would be an easy task to list all of the good things that it has done for our society and then pitch it against all of the bad things. Underneath all of this technology that has been embraced I don’t feel that Irish Society has changed much because of it.

We are celebrating the 100 year anniversary of the Easter rising next year, looking back at all of the events that have happened in Ireland in those 100 years ( which is still a relatively small amount of time in the context of European history) its the next hundred years and the next generation of people living in Ireland who will be able to look back and say if we have evolved into a social and collaborative society.

justas
    Participant

As a lot of people mentioned before, Ireland does have a lot of examples when social computing is used for the benefit of society. But does that make Ireland somehow different than other EU countries? I don’t think so.

Yes, Ireland is now considered to be the ‘Silicon Valley’ of Europe, but my understanding is that’s mainly because Web Summit was able to attract a lot of investors and tech companies to Ireland and create a media hype about it for the last couple of years. That show is over. Now it’s moving to Lisbon and a lot of hype about Ireland and Dublin as a startup hub is fading away. At least from the non-Irish media point of view.

As far as social computing and social media goes, Ireland does have some very good examples. One in particular that comes to mind is the ‘Anti Water Tax’ movement. As far as I remember there was a huge amount of social media campaigns to organize protests and campaign rallies. And it did have an effect on government policy, however small it was 🙂

Diarmuid Kiernan
    Participant

What’s Ireland up to when it comes to Social Computing? Anyone involved with some success stories? Any apparent strengths that make Ireland ripe for success? Is Ireland by nature a collaborative national community?’

Social Computing in Ireland has changed the way we go about our daily lives in Ireland. Everybody these days are tapping away on their phones and ipads. Before we had social media people interacted with each other face to face and there was a great sense of community. People seem to be loosing their ability to socially interact with one another without the use of a device.

Despite all this we are enjoying huge success in attracting big multi nationals to our shores with them establishing a bases here such as google and microsoft. Ireland has a well educated population, a mild climate and a low corporate tax rate to attract these companies. We are also the considered to be the gate way to Europe. Due to being out on our own and not attached to main land Europe people in Ireland have always had to work collaboratively to over come problems.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php