Week 2 – Ireland Social Computing and Collaboration

Home Forums Weekly Discussions Week 2 – Ireland Social Computing and Collaboration

This topic contains 22 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Diarmuid Kiernan 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

shawnday
    Keymaster

What’s Ireland up to when it comes to Social Computing? Anyone involved with some success stories? Any apparent strengths that make Ireland ripe for success? Is Ireland by nature a collaborative national community?’

brabus
    Participant

Twitter and Instagram defiantly not popular her! 🙂

John Kilkelly
    Participant

Most of the social computing in Ireland I would expect is centered around particular interest groups based on activities. Cycling groups, hill walking groups etc.

An interesting progression I’ve noticed on Facebook is the rise of the ‘Community Alert’/’Neighourhood Watch’ face-book pages. You know the ones were an alert is sent around if a suspicious white van is spotted on the estate, a cat has gone missing or Missus Smith’s dog sh*ts on the street. These pages a very open to nosey neighbours and bigots(particularly bigotry towards travelers) of course. Not sure what the success rate is on cracking down crime though. Some pages claim to operate in conjunction with the Guardai.

Hopefully they don’t become as successful as the Peru version ‘Neighourhood Watch’.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/06/catch-your-thief-peru-facebook-vigilante-movement

Noel
    Participant

I think social media in some ways Irish people (laid-backness) generally suits the social computing concepts. We seem to have a good engagement with services offered online. Looking more specifically at social media I think the biggest issue could be that Irish people are generally more lurkers (nosey?) rather than contributors which I think it possibly because the country is so small. Nearly everyone knows each other through one or two people. There is a 50% penetration rate of facebook in Ireland which is pretty high and Facebook testing out the new “reaction” feature here shortly seems to indicated they see the country as a good test bed for social media.

piush
    Participant

People living in Ireland are very much involved and aware of the impact of social computing in their life. All major as well new social platforms are tried by general public. If I remember it correctly ,Ireland was one of the few countries where Bebo(pre facebook) was very popular.MySpace was used by artists to connect with their fans.
    I see Facebook and Instagram being used by people to connect with friends and family members even if they are on the other side of the world.Whatsapp,Viber,Snapchat,Skype are very common tools of communication among people of various ages.
    I have heard people connecting to Irish radio and reading news through their apps.Watching tv programmes on rteplayer or laptop is a common occurence.

I believe Irish by nature are very collobrative. Tidy towns competitions,various charities are few examples where people come together for the greater good of the community.

patmurph
    Participant

My gut feeling would be that No, Ireland is not a collaborative community, but then I realise there is no basis whatsoever for that gut feeling. 🙂 Then I thought of boards.ie and went there – it still seems to be alive and well. There are people still posting on there today! I’d have thought that twitter/facebook etc would have spelt the end for internet forums. Maybe not. Maybe something worth talking about in class?

piush
    Participant

I just saw the suggested video.
    I am a little confused as to the point when speaker was mentioning 20/80 rule.I always thought that paying attention to 20% of the customers who bring in the most value is very important for survival of the business.
    There is a saying :- “You cannot please everyone”. I do not get his point to have a platform to please the other 80% of the collaborators just in case one of them might bring one important security patch. Is it not wasting your resources?

Does anyone else feel the same?

kevin
    Participant

What’s Ireland up to when it comes to Social Computing?

“Social computing is an area of computer science that is concerned with the intersection of social behavior and computational systems.”

Anyone involved with some success stories

Not personally, but just by running a quick Google search in relation to this point and the very first suggestion offered up was a site I was unaware of, namely………………

http://socialcomputing.ie

The website itself is developed and maintained by volunteers from IBM Ireland & is a free community resource for everyone to use. It mainly provides small, easy to use tutorials for those people who have no constant interaction with a computer or smart device. It provides useful links to areas of interest & generally aims to inform & teach as it provides.

We may laugh at such a proposition but there are great numbers of people in society Today who fear the use of, or misuse of computers!

This could be seen as a great addition for society, for a variety of reasons. The move for more & more form of interactions in society Today to a computational device is welcome by a lot, but not everyone. There are still vast amounts of people who are “computer illiterate” and are scared or feel inadequate in Todays ever evolving, technologically hungry landscape.

Initiatives like this provide, or at least aim to provide, a more inclusive, more computationally accepting society as a whole.

If only people were more aware of it & less afraid to engage!

Just a thought…

Jeffrey
    Participant

Ireland is definitely getting better with social computing. If you were to go back 6 years this would not be the case. To engage and embrace new technologies can be tough for a country who peoples pride themselves on a strong traditional ethos. With that medieval shroud starting to lift over the last decade we have started to grow and really emerge in the world from a social perspective.
    Will Ireland itself become a success story in social media?
    In my own opinion I think we will. We are relatively new to it and because this is so I think we will bring new ideas and innovations. As a country we will put our stamp on social media in the future.

shawnday
    Keymaster

Check out how the Long Tail (80%) has been monetised with lowered transaction costs and the ability to efficiently sell to make the small transactions a la iTunes … e.g.. Chris Anderson: http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/tail.html – A thought.

piush
    Participant

Hi Shawn,
    Thanks for the article. It is an eye opener.
    I think it is a new strategy of doing business or a different business model . It is easier for new companies to adopt.
    In this digital age,where storage and cloud computing is cheap.
    However traditional ,well established companies are struggling to adapt.

byrnep16
    Participant

Taking the collaboration part of the above statement I have to say that while working through the first 2 years of the Diploma course in Trinity, I personally found that by using WhatsApp we (My project team) were able to keep our Group project on track and on time. WhatsApp was the easiest way to communicate information to the whole group instantly. Thankfully we had all agreed that this was to be the main form of instant communication and that all messages to the group were to be followed up with a detailed email (if needed).

Peter Madden
    Participant

There are aspects of the Irish character that make certain types of social computing flourish and others flounder. Tools that facilitate community-building, from online ones like boards.ie to real life ones like meetup.com seem to speak to our sociable side.

Rather than society becoming less tightly knit and caring as it often bemoaned by the Joe Duffy mafia, I think it has just become a bit more discerning.

Maybe I don’t want to talk to my neighbours IRL. But I have the facility now to find a hundred people who share my love of competitive duck flinging and I can arrange regular training sessions with similarly-inclined fowl chuckers from my local area – a facility Irish society did not offer 15 years ago.

Rather than slipping towards anomie as the urban centres grow more densely populated, online engagement could allow our historically tribal nature drive our online activity and help maintain a degree of social cohesion. Albeit in a different form to what post-war sociologists might have had in mind. Social capital was one of the driving elements of these communities and it continues, in a different way, to drive, enrich and grease the wheels of online groups and the real world encounters they can facilitate.

As regards social computing successes, I got my current job through a combination of on and offline collaboration. So that was nice.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Peter Madden.

Guillaume Van Aelst
    Participant

Social Computing is a rapidly growing area, and I believe Ireland is “surfing that wave”.
    The fact that Ireland is considered the Silicon Valley of Europe might be one of the reasons for this.
    Ireland is indeed ripe for success as countless of new organisations keep on implementing here, not just to enjoy the corporate tax, but also to enjoy the huge pool of talents available to work in here.
    I find that the usage of social medias such as; LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook… in Ireland is far greater than comparing to my relatives (friends and family) in Belgium.
    I know of a few companies recruiting in Ireland mostly through LinkedIn while in Belgium, I know very few people who even have a LinkedIn account (let alone updated!).
    Another great example of “social computing” that works great in Ireland (as opposed to Belgium or even France) is the fact that Uber & Hailo are commonly well accepted in here. Not the same everywhere else…
    Being a non-Irish person, I can see the importance of Social Computing in Ireland as one of the ways of keeping in touch with my other expatriated peers. This view might be different when living with/closer to their families and long-time friends?

As mentioned through LinkedIn, one of the “success stories” I know of (to be confirmed…) is the fact that my friend started his company (WeSavvy) which idea is to “encourage insurance clients to increase their wellbeing in order to drive down their insurance premiums” and in the future to “crowdsourcing your quote” (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/emergence-engagement-insurance-developing-social-rick-huckstep). He confirms that Ireland is the right place to start this kind of business and is being backed by the IDA for example.

Whether Ireland is by nature a collaborative national community or not is hard for me to generalize, but so far, I never had any bad experience. From my experience though what I can say is that Ireland is by nature a generous national community.

Barry Quirke
    Participant

I think that people in Ireland are very collaborative, after all, we’ve had decades of practice: consider the collaboration by local and national groups in fundraising to provide schools, hospitals, sports and other facilities which national/local government either could not afford to provide or where political will was lacking to provide such necessary facilities. Self help was very much the order of the day, from before the foundation of the state and up to the present day.

Community collaborative activities are organised and communicated via social media, of course, as evidenced by, for example, the six-figure total fan base of the Facebook pages for Focus Ireland, Pieta House and the Irish Cancer Society etc.
    (http://www.socialbakers.com/statistics/facebook/pages/total/ireland/society/). Also consider the beneficial role that social media plays in bridging the geographic and emotional separtion of the Irish diaspora and our little island.

As Noel mentioned earlier, the level of penetration of popular social media platforms is quite high in Ireland (https://www.newstalk.com/INFOGRAPHIC:-Has-Ireland-passed-peak-social-media and the referenced Ipsos MRBI social media survey). So I would say that, yes, an inherent leaning towards collaboration and a substantial global diaspora combined with an emphatic embracing of social media single Ireland out as a location with positive prospects for increased social media collaboration in the future.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php