Week 10 – Great Presentations

Home Forums Weekly Discussions Week 10 – Great Presentations

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  piush 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

shawnday
    Keymaster

We had two very similarly themed presentations and absolutely superb discussion. Wondering … what do you think (issue, behaviour) draws the two together? What resonated with you?

piush
    Participant

In my opinion both User generated content and Social Tagging (real time engagement) is drawn together by the need of the public to connect to each other easily and provide information. The human intention “to do no evil” is what drives individuals to provide the content without any strings attached. Social tagging is done by public to enable an easy way to search their content. Both help users to express their feelings and emotions as freely as possible. Social media has provided a shared environment where people can express views, thoughts about diverse topics freely and as quickly as possible. It is informal, organic network where relevant information can be found with ease and social relationships are developed. Real time engagement makes it easy to connect to a target audience quicker and easier.
    The issue is for me is that the intention behind content generated by users ends up murky. The motivation of the person behind doing all the work starts with giving content and tags freely without anything in return. However, most of the time there is a catch. Information generated by analysing the content using social tagging can be used by businesses, governments and individuals.. However the intention of these individuals and organisations are never clear. Are these organisations or individuals engaging with the masses for their own benefit or for the public?
    What resonated with me after the presentations is that getting the ball rolling for users to generate content is a huge task. User participation is very difficult. Even with internet, right to free speech and expressing views freely, 90% of the world’s population watches as a spectator. Therefore I am impressed that sites such as Facebook, Wikipedia, and YouTube are able to get involvement by users. Their business models is based on participation on mass scale and are successful in getting public involved. Hats off to the social network !!!!!

Barry Quirke
    Participant

What especially resonated with me was the conclusion that the issue with user-generated content is the users themselves and the fact that one cannot rely on all users to be fair and altruistic all of the time in their motives behind their on-line behaviour. Basically, you get the good, the bad and the ugly in the body of engaged users. The point has been made many times so far during this course that social media is an enabler, not a cause, of bad behaviour on-line. User behaviour is pretty much impossible to control.

And Piush has eloquently and amply made the point that for real-time engagement to work, it requires users to be engaged and actively willing to participate – the interest must be there to begin with and users must be watching, listening and amenable to form spontaneous communities and react positively to events, campaigns or new platforms for discussion/activity.

kennynir
    Participant

One thing that resonated with me was the scenario where social tagging was used during a recent running marathon. As runners approached certain markers during the race information about there performance was outputed to huge screens which were relaying data from tracking devices that each runner had attached to them. It is a move away from the traditional loud speaker with someone shouting into it !

So many potential positive uses for society in the area of social tagging. User generated content again makes me feel that social computing is not making society evil or do bad things but is a mirror to what society really is like and in some cases it is not very pleasant.

kevin
    Participant

I’d tend to agree with the previous posts on this topic. User Generated Content and Social Tagging is a massive, multi-dimensional area that is continually growing and has yet to plateau.

As Barry points out the over bearing view, within the class at least, is that you take everything you read or view with not just a pinch, but a barrel of salt! What the user engages with is ultimately down to the individual user.

Again though, it’s Social Media that you tend to use, as a pointer at the very least, for verification on a specific topic of discontent. What I mean by this is you’ll follow the bread crumbs of the initial article/topic until you’re satisfied you’ve arrived at a point of conclusive inform.

What strikes me the most from the above posts though is when Piush suggests that, “both User generated content and Social Tagging (real time engagement) is drawn together by the need of the public to connect to each other easily and provide information.”

The most striking word within this statement, to my mind anyway, is his use of the word need. Seamlessly ushered into conversation with a disregard for any objections.

Where this sense of need is derived from or, even more so who is it being driven by, is of a greater area of interest and discussion I feel.

WicusGr
    Participant

I have to agree with we have so much potential to make great thing, but so many rather be ‘trolls’, because they believe they are anonymous on-line.

piush
    Participant

“A need is something you have to have, something you can’t do without. e.g. food
    A want is something you would like to have. e.g. music ”
    http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/articles/economics/wantsandneeds1.htm

I believe public provides social tagging and generate content because of the necessity to share information easily and connect to each other. They need to add tags to content which are meaningful. Marketing firms add content to communicate to specific markets. Blogs are written to communicate specific topics. Each human effort is with a goal in mind.
    And if there was no “need” to share content, there would be no internet. Internet was created because of the need to communicate data.
    If there was no “need” to read specific topics among people, there would be communities of shared interest.

If people start sharing random tags and content with whatever they “want”, online communities will be chaotic.
    People do add content without thinking about consequences or with whatever they “want”. The content is either lost in billions of data online or read at the recent news article which had led a man to facing jail time :
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/15/thai-man-faces-jail-insulting-kings-dog-sarcastic-internet-post

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php