Week 1 – What 2 things would you like to take away from this course?

Home Forums Weekly Discussions Week 1 – What 2 things would you like to take away from this course?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  WicusGr 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

shawnday
    Keymaster

After our introduction to the course and bearing in mind you signed up to a vague course outline and prospectus, what would you hope to gain from this course – be as specific or as general as you would like.

Bernard McGinley
    Participant

1 – better engage with classmates and professional colleagues
    2 – understand half of what my little sister says

patmurph
    Participant

Honestly, there’s is just so much stuff going on that I want to make sense of. I’m hoping the module will put some structure on it all. Particularly interested in the psychology of it all and the trends. Like, where does it all end.

Peter Madden
    Participant

Like Pat, I’m interested in the psychology of it all. A lot of the SM products on offer aren’t particularly distinct from each other but some of them flourish and others don’t. What’s making them sticky and others Bebo?
    Also the idea of the echo chamber and curated media is something I’d like to hear more about.
    As news moves farther from its traditional origins – both in the means of production and of consumption – I think we’re losing out both in the diversity of the stuff we’re exposed to and the quality of what’s being produced.
    For better or worse, the system of checks and balances that traditional media outlets are required to follow (unless you work for Rupert Murdoch apparently…) aren’t as rigidly observed by news blogs or citizen journalism.
    This puts a greater responsibility on the reader than ever before to gather news from as many sources as possible, understand the mechanics of how and why it’s being presented to them and to question the provenance of all of it before forming an opinion.
    Also Lolcats. Why can’t they spell and why do I love them so much for it?

Barry Quirke
    Participant

I’d like to achieve a broader understanding of the wide variety of available social media and related issues such as user appeal/psychology, behavioural and social impact, privacy, information security and data protection, and the decisions (or lack of) that SM users make/do not make when publishing information about themselves or others online. Personally, (I believe) I’m quite careful about publishing personal information online because of privacy/security concerns, so it would be good to see if those concerns are justified as the course progresses or whether I need to reassess my position and relax a little!

petersserverfixes
    Participant

What I would like most from this module is a better understanding of how and why we use social media as the primary form of communication today. I see (younger) people glued to their phones and I get a real-time commentary from my daughter about what is trending on twitter and I would like to be able to participate.

The second part of what I am looking for is a better way to market my own work. I have a number of websites and I would like to be able to drive more web traffic to them, by using social media to its full potential.

petersserverfixes
    Participant

Bernard, older brothers are not supposed to understand little sisters, but I do like your first point about engaging with class mates. I believe this year is all about everybody engaging more with each other on class work.

Bernard McGinley
    Participant

true 🙂

on both counts

piush
    Participant

1. I am looking forward to be more open and remove my apprehension by understanding as to why social computing is so important.I want to dispell my ideas about privacy and data infringement. Is media scaremongering people by just stating the negative facts about social feeds?
    2. I woud like to be able to differentiate between different social media platforms. At present all of the forums seem to me as if they are for self promotion except for e-learning. Is there a better way to achieve sharing among communities by using social means?

Thanks

Guillaume Van Aelst
    Participant

I find Facebook to be a big waste of time as I am highly uninterested to know what people ate for lunch, how many kilometres they ran during the day or even their current mood. I mostly use it as an online “Identity Card”, to sign-in/log-in easier to various websites and as a way to keep my family aware, once a year maybe, that I am actually still alive.
    I also just signed-up to Twitter, in order to keep-up with this course, but I have yet to get my head around it true purpose (and use).
    On the other hand, I am quite “present” on LinkedIn as this is my most up-to-date “CV”.
    I am not a very social-media person, but do find it useful to arrange social-meeting (generally at the pub).
    Being aware that nowadays EVERYTHING (home, watches, glasses…) is now linked to social medias (WEB 2.0), I see the need to improving myself in order to stay up-to-date with the world.
    I hope this course will help me learn from this aspect of the society that is growing exponentially every day.

galvini
    Participant

1. To get a handle on the best (or most valuable) of what’s out there. To hope that with class participation, the rubbish can be batted away and the worthy remain. Maybe look at the more obscure but no less interesting applications. If social media had been around when I was in my late teens/early twenties I would have been all over it. Now a ‘few’ years on, I find myself signing up after being told. It took me longer than I’d care to admit how to send a private tweet the other week when making a complaint to a service provider. I used to send letters or emails. Now I can let my Victor Meldrew flag fly in a public forum.
    2. To quote Agent K from Men in Black “A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals.” There seems to be a sort of mob mentality with certain social media. Twitter again. People are much more likely to lose their minds and have a go at someone deservedly or not, in a way that I don’t think they would face to face. Even though their real identity may be attached to the account. It’s the same as shouting at someone from your car. You wouldn’t roar at someone for cutting you in line at the super market. You’d tell them politely that you were there first. It’s that buffer that makes people feel invincible. Social media and general online interaction aren’t going anywhere. In short, how we can use social media responsibly. Myself included. Embrace the social aspect. After all, it’s not anti-social media!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  galvini.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  galvini.

MartinStaunton
    Participant

I’d like to get a better understanding of how important social media is to businesses today. And also finding out how helpful it can be to people growing their career and their expertise.

brabus
    Participant

1. I would like to gain full understanding of social computing trends. Where it’s going. How it’s evolve. What groups of people are going to be engaged with it. What tools/services are we going to use to be engaged in social media/computing.
    Currently we can evidence split in generations which are engaged in Social media. Younger generation using services like “Snapchat” and they believe that FB is out of date, in fact they say that it’s for their parents and grandparents.

2. By understanding and learning above I would be able to understand what social media marketing technics I would be able to apply in practice to generate higher profits for any organisation. ☺

linehanv
    Participant

1. I am going to echo Patrick Murphy’s sentiments above – There is a lot going on! – I want to make sense of it all too! ( or at least some of it!). I am looking forward to learning from this module with ongoing engagement with my fellow classmates.

2. I want to take away a positive group experience from the team on our group presentation. I am really looking forward to working with Ilya, Piush & Guillaume. Go Team!!!

John Kilkelly
    Participant

1) A better understanding of how social computing is used by stakeholders (particularly competing stakeholders) to achieve common goals within their industry. ie lobby for/against changes to government legislation etc.

2) Explore how social computing can be used outside the scope of corporate agenda’s… or even against corporate agendas. Can it be used to counter-act the negative impact on-line shopping (and other modern shopping trends) has had on local communities.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php